Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Multiple Sclerosis and Staying Healthy

Sometimes life reaches out and gives you a swift kick. I have had MS for 25 years and actually have done very well. By well, I mean I'm still walking and many of us have lost that ability. Don't get me wrong, I've lost the ability to do many of the things I enjoy like water skiing, snow skiing, racquetball, aerobics or just running in the backyard with my grandchildren or puppies. My balance is very unstable and sometimes I look like I'm drunk when I walk. I was always bumping into things, even falling down, talk about embarrassing. For years I had trouble sleeping because my legs hurt so badly. But Lord, I AM so very grateful for what I DO have.

Two years ago I had an event in my life that I was sure would totally crush me. I just didn't know how I was going to keep going. I let myself go. I wasn't eating or exercising right and I felt terrible emotionally and physically. I needed to do something. I told Noel I needed her help. And boy, did she help me! She said I wasn't eating enough (how could that be?) and all the wrong things plus exercising too much and incorrectly. Now all of you would laugh at what I call working out. It's not close to what the rest of the world does for exercising but I had my weights, treadmill and stationary bike.

Immediately after I started eating and exercising correctly, I started sleeping (joy!) and felt 100% better. I had more than enough to eat and Noel put foods into my diet that I liked.

She took my limited ability to do things, added a ball and bands to the rest of my equipment and I had my own gym. I look forward to her workouts for me because I can accomplish the workout she prescribes. I can't tell you the difference the program has made in my life. I'm stronger, don't fatigue as easily but the best thing is that my balance is so much better. I can even do squats now without holding on to something. I lost 10.5 inches and 15 lbs which was too much weight loss so Noel gave me all day cheats on Saturday - the best day of the week!- and I gained three lbs - perfect for me.

So Noel is my diet coach for life. By that I mean she will continue to prescribe how I eat, exercise and live healthily. Thank you Noel! I love you. Oh, by the way, Noel is my daughter.

No comments: